[Birthing Stories] My Very First Hypnobabies Birth

My birth story all started on October 28th 2006 when I saw that pretty double blue line. I was ecstatic I didn’t know what to say, do or think. I just cried from enjoyment, I couldn’t have been happier. But now what? First of all we didn’t have maternity insurance second of all this was a little bit of a surprise.

My sister is the one that introduced me to the whole hypnobirthing thing. I started doing my own research and was liking what I was reading. The more I read the more I wanted to do it.So I signed up for the class.

When the classes finally came around and it was getting closer to my birthing time, I started to get nervous. But once I went to the first class something came over me and I was calm and I knew that I would be able do this and everything was going to be ok.

Going to the classes was pretty much the highlight of my week. I learned so much in the class. This was my first baby, I didn’t really know what to expect, and I had no idea what my body was going through. I learned a lot not only about my body but how to relax in general.

When the classes came to an end I had 6 weeks till my estimated due date, so I thought. I will be honest with you, I didn’t do my homework as often as what was advised, I thought I had time. When I was 35 weeks I went in to my regular weekly cheek up and requested that they checked me because I was having a lot of pressure.

They did and I was already at 4 centimeters and 80 percent effaced. All I could think was WOW! This baby is going to come sooner than I thought.

That weekend I went in to the Hospital with pressure waves every 3-5 minutes apart and they were very strong. I got there about midnight and they sent me home at 6 o’clock in the morning after giving me a shot to stop my pressure waves.

I was still at a 4 and they couldn’t induce me because It was so early. It was kinda funny because my sister-in-law was supposed to get induced earlier that day, but got turned away because the hospital was so busy with emergency c-sections. We all joked that the babies were waiting for each other to
come down on the same day.

That following Tuesday June 5th started like any other Tuesday. Lindsay my sister-in-law had my niece at 3 o’clock in the morning and everyone joked that Keagan was going to come later that day. My Mom and my sister Talya came down to my house to help me clean since I couldn’t, and Keagan’s room was no wear close to being finished.

We finished everything and they left around 5:30 P.M. About a half an hour later I had just gone the bathroom and was finishing some laundry. I bent over to pick up the basket, and I thought to my self, either I wasn’t done going to the bathroom and I peed my pants or my water just broke.

So I called my mom and asked her, “what does it feel like when your water breaks?” Since hers never broke at home, always at the hospital she told me to call my sister. I called her and asked her the same thing. She didn’t know either. But she told me to lay down and see if more amniotic fluid comes out when I roll over, because the head can act like a plug and stop it from coming. It did. It was like a flood, I soaked 4 towels. We called the hospital and my midwife to let them know I was on my way.

My husband was getting everything ready while I laid on the couch and listened to my Cd’s to relax myself and get ready for the birth of my baby. After I was ready to go, I got in the car and just did my breathing and got my self deeper and deeper into relaxation. We got to the hospital about 7:30 P.M. along with my Mom, Dad and my sister Talya.

We finally got into the delivery room at about 8 o’clock. I turned off all the lights and listened to my deepening CD, while I was rocking on my birthing ball. My sister was pushing on some pressure points, to try to get my pressure waves stronger. I was in no pain and totally relaxed feeling good.

My midwife came to check me at about 10 P.M. and I was still at 4 centimeters with no progression. I was getting a little antsy and she suggested pitocin. I took it, not really knowing how it would feel. At about 10:45 P.M. is when it kicked in. My pressure waves got stronger real quick, it was not gradual at all.

I wasn’t mentally ready for that kind of sensation yet, I hadn’t prepared my self. I got scared and jumped out of my relaxed peaceful state. Because I had taken the pitocin it took me a good hour before I felt relaxed again and like I could do it. I was having pressure waves lasting up to 90 seconds and only 20 seconds apart.

I didn’t really have much time in between the pressure waves to relax myself, like I was. I knew that I could do this and I knew that my body was made for this. It helped a lot to have my sister there, because she had been threw this three times before, to remind me to relax and to breath and think about my beautiful baby.

My husband and my sister kept telling me positive things when they saw that I was struggling a little bit, it helped. Knowing that I had people there supporting me and reminding me to relax and to breathe helped a lot.

It was 11:45 P.M. when I started pushing. I was laying on my back the usual way that doctors do deliveries. Threw the whole pregnancy I was terrified that I would have to get an episiotomy. I did, The needed to get my baby out as fast as they could, because Keagan’s heart rate had dipped quit a bit.

When his head came out he was completely purple. I was terrified. They found that the cord was wrapped around his chest twice. Keagan was born at 11:59 P.M. Weighing 7lbs. 4 oz. He made it by a minute to share a birthday with his cousin.

They quickly gave him to the pediatrician that was on call. I didn’t even get to hold him first and I was so sad, but I wanted the best for my baby. After the was out my midwife was having trouble getting the placenta to detach, it just wouldn’t come.

When she told me this my husband put his hand on my forehead and said, “relax.” and I was thinking “release, release.” As soon as we did that out it came. I strongly believe that was why.

After he was born they took him to do tests since he was a preemie and completely blue, they had to make sure everything was alright. The next day they ran an x-ray and found out that he had pneumonia. My heart broke. He had to stay in the hospital for 5 extra days, I was lucky enough that I got to be with him everyday and hold him everyday that he was there.

After giving birth I was expecting to bleed for a few weeks. I didn’t, I bled for only three days, and my stitches were healed by my one week post appointment. I know was because I had him all natural with no drugs in my system. It was perfect.

I couldn’t have asked for a better birthing time, even though he was sick, I loved every minute of delivering him. HypnoBabies helped me relax and be comfortable for my birth as well as other things out side of being pregnant. I strongly believe in this and can’t wait to do it again with my next child. I recommend it to everyone. Your body was made to have babies, so why not enjoy it? (Written by¬†Erica)

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.